Premier CIC – Canada's Only Immigration Consulting Co-op: We Know What You Need
Header image

Family Class

Foreign nationals may be sponsored to become permanent residents under the Family Class on the basis of marriage or a common-law or conjugal relationship with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (PR) of Canada. Family class applications can be filed in Canada or overseas. Be sure to get advice from the experts at Premier Canadian Immigration Co-op before deciding whether it would be better to apply in Canada or to apply overseas because there are a number of advantages and disadvantages to each.

A Family class application is a two-step process starting with an application from the sponsor. An eligible sponsor is a Canadian citizen or a PR who is at least 18 years of age and resides in Canada. 

Family members who can be sponsored include spouses, common-lawpartners and dependent children. Current law provides for the equal treatment of those in a same-sex relationship. Immediate family members living outside Canada now receive the highest processing priority – higher than other family class members.

Other members of the family class include:

  1. parents
  2. grandparents
  3. orphaned,:
    • a. siblings
    • b. nephew or niece
    • c. grandchildren

who are under 18 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner.

Note: Sponsorship for Parents and Grandparents has resumed, but the slots fill up quickly every year! If you are thinking of sponsoring a parent or grandparent, let Premier Canadian Immigration Co-op help you get your application in correct, and on time! Contact us.