Premier CIC – Canada's Only Immigration Consulting Co-op: We Know What You Need
Header image


Although some questions can be answered generally, most elements of an immigration case are highly individual in nature. To be sure that you are getting information that is relevant to your situation, please contact us.

1.  I want to sponsor my spouse for permanent residence. Is it better to have my sponsorship application processed in Canada or overseas?

Family class applications can be sponsored either within Canada or overseas, and there are a number of advantages and disadvantages to each. You need to weigh the advantage of being able to work after first-stage approval of the sponsorship (in-Canada application – see below) against the longer processing times and the fact that a negative decision cannot be appealed (unlike an overseas application). Ask one of Premier CIC’s Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants to clearly lay out all of the pros and cons of each before you decide whether to apply in Canada or overseas.

2. If I file an In-Canada sponsorship application for my partner, when can he or she apply for a work permit?

Your partner may apply for an open work permit at the same time as you apply for sponsorship.

3. I am currently studying in Canada. Am I eligible to become a permanent resident?

Under certain conditions, normally after your studies have been completed, you may qualify to enter the Express Entry pool under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). Or you may already qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Class. Contact us for more information

4.  If my application has been refused, can I re-apply and if so do I have to pay again?

Yes, you may re-apply but you need to address the reasons for the initial refusal to get a more favourable result. You have to pay another application fee if your application was processed and refused.

5. How long are medical examinations valid for?

Medical results are valid for one year from the date of the examination. If the visa being applied for is not issued within the one-year validity period, another medical examination will be required.

6. I am a native English speaker. Do I still have to take a language test?

Yes, every applicant is required to submit language test results (and second language test results, if you also want to be awarded points for a second language).

7. Which language tests does the Canadian government recognise?

Only IELTS “General Training” and CELPIP-G for English, and TEF for French.

8. How long are language tests valid for?

Language test results are valid for two years from the time you take the test.

9. What are NOC codes?

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the government’s standard reference on occupations in Canada. It organizes over 30,000 job titles into 520 occupational group descriptions. It is used daily by thousands of people to compile, analyse and communicate information about occupations, and to understand the jobs found throughout Canada’s labour market.

Skill Level A represents occupations usually requiring university education. Skill Level B refers to occupations usually requiring college education or apprenticeship training. Skill Level C occupations generally require completion of secondary school and some job-specific training or completion of courses directly related to the work. Skill Level D occupations usually require on-the-job training, short demonstration sessions or instruction that takes place in the work environment

10. What fees does the Canadian government charge for my application?

There are processing fees and Right of Permanent Residence fees if one is applying for permanent residence. Processing fees are dependent on the type of application being submitted and are due prior to submitting the application. Generally, fees are payable per person and not per application. Fees may also be age dependent at the time of application (e.g., minor children might be exempt).

If one applies under the Provincial Nominees Program, there will be additional fees payable to the province.

11. How long will it take to process my application?

Application processing time is dependent on the type of application and where it was submitted. You can contact us to get an idea of the length of time that will be required to process your specific application.

12. How do I pay my fees (processing, consulting, etc.)?

Canadian government fees can be paid either online, at a financial institution in Canada, or according to the specific instructions from the visa office serving your area if you are applying outside Canada.
Premier Canadian Immigration Co-op professional service fees are payable by cheque or by wire transfer.

13. Why a Co-op?

Co-operatives are based on the values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity and solidarity. In the tradition of their founders, co-operative members believe in the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others.

PCIC is not like any other immigration consulting company.
We believe in the values and the power of the co-op movement.
We believe that three heads are better than one.
When you bring your immigration file to us you can be assured of 2 things:

  1. your file will be handled by a dedicated and capable Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), trained to the highest standards, and
  2. all of the members of the co-op will pitch in to apply their collective knowledge and experience to ensure that your application is handled in the most efficient, cost-effective, and speediest manner possible.