Premier CIC – Canada's Only Immigration Consulting Co-op: We Know What You Need
Header image

How do I apply for the new Parents and Grandparents Super Visa?

Posted by kanrisha in blog - (Comments Off on How do I apply for the new Parents and Grandparents Super Visa?)

CIC introduced a new type of visitor visa for parents and grandparents – a 10-year multiple entry visa that permits the holder to stay as long as 2 years on each visit. In addition to the normal conditions for applying for a visitor visa to be eligible for the Super Visa, the applicant must:

1) Be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
2) Provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada, including proof that the child or grandchild meets the minimum necessary income (Low Income Cut-Off);
3) Undergo the Immigration Medical Examination;
4) Submit proof that they have purchased comprehensive Canadian medical insurance, valid for at least one year; and
Satisfy the visa officer that they meet all other standard admissibility criteria.

Here are the Low Income Cut Off requirements (valid until December 31, 2011):
(to determine the amount needed, you must add the number of visitors to be sponsored and the number of people in the sponsor’s family – so for a family of 4 in Canada who want mom and dad to visit on a Super Visa, the amount required is for 6 persons, i.e., $52,838.

Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary income
1 person (the sponsor) $22,229
2 persons $27,674
3 persons $34,022
4 persons $41,307
5 persons $46,850
6 persons $52,838
7 persons $58,827
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $5,989

Please not that a although minimum of $100,000 of health insurance valid for at least 1 year from a CANADIAN insurance company is required, no Canadian health insurance company is offering such a policy at this time. Watch this space for an update when the insurance becomes available.

If you have any questions or if you want to apply for a Super Visa, let Premier Canadian Immigration Co-op help. Please contact us at
We Know What You Need